Watch the critically-acclaimed PBS documentary here:
Violence in Chicago: Responding with Faith is an hour-long documentary produced by the Chicago Sunday Evening Club, which will premiere Thursday, May 28th at 9PM on WTTW Channel 11.
The documentary highlights the city-wide cost of violence for all the citizens of Chicago - the damage done not only by bullets but by feelings of fear and hopelessness that stretch from the inner-city neighborhoods to the suburbs. We hear from journalists, government leaders, and victims of violence, as we explore the dynamic between acute and chronic violence throughout Chicagoland.
From this understanding of the problem, we reach toward solutions. We look at ministries in the Chicago area that are working to increase economic opportunities, educational access, and empathy across dividing lines here in the city. We hear from the Faith Community of Saint Sabina, University Church in Hyde Park, the Englewood Crusher's Club, and the YMCA of Metropolitan Chicago, among others, about their efforts to reduce and eliminate violence.
The program concludes with a call to action for congregations, offering concrete steps that faith communities can take to work as single points of light, as well as in a larger spectrum, to bring illumination and hope the the darkness of violence in Chicago.
:30 Promotional Clips - Please feel free to share!
Find out more about the participants and issues:
- "Crushers Club Fights for Chicago Youth"
- Chicago Police Department Crime Statistics
- YMCA Youth Safety and Violence Prevention
- University of Chicago Crime Lab
- Vox article, "16 Theories for Why Crime Plummeted in the U.S."
- "Gun Violence Prevention: Congregational Toolkit," prepared by the Presbyterian Church, USA
- 2017 Religion Communicators Council convention - Discussion about issues of violence: http://bit.ly/2n7z71q